Baked Gnocchi with Mulay’s Italian Sausage
- 6 links Mulay’s Killer Hot Italian Sausage (or Mild or Original), removed from casing
- 14 oz. Pappardelle’s Potato Gnocchi
- 1/3 cup Pappardelle’s Superfood Kale Pesto
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- A large pinch of garlic powder
- 5 oz. roasted tomatoes
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Add frozen gnocchi to boiling water, stirring occasionally. Cook for 2-3 mins., or until gnocchi floats. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. While water is warming up, heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add sausage to pan and using a spatula, break sausage into crumbles. Cook for about 5 mins. or until cooked through and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 mins., or until paste bubbles and no longer smells like flour. Add milk, continuing to stir. Bring to a gentle boil. Lower heat to medium-low and stir until béchamel is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Season with garlic powder and salt & pepper. Remove from heat.
4. Combine cooked gnocchi, sausage and béchamel in a large bowl. Add kale pesto, roasted tomatoes, Parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella. Stir until combined.
5. Transfer gnocchi mixture to an oven safe dish or skillet. Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. After 20 mins., uncover and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella on top. Bake for another 10-15 mins., or until cheese is melted and dish is bubbly. Let sit for 5 mins. before serving. Enjoy!